Psychology of Diversity and Unconscious Bias
What you'll learn
- Understand the difference between stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination.
- Identify acts of stereotyping.
- Develop the ideal mentality for engaging with an increasingly diverse society.
- Implement tested strategies for undermining unconscious biases.
- Openness to confronting prejudice and discrimination in yourself and others.
Many people understand that diversity and unconscious bias are important issues to grapple with, but it’s difficult to get a strong handle on them. For years, social scientists have turned their attention to stereotyping and discrimination in order to use data and scientific methods to know more about why it happens and how to stop it.
What You'll Learn
In this course we consider big ideas in diversity science with a focus on understanding concrete strategies to halt bias in its tracks. To know how to solve a problem, though, it’s necessary to understand the root of the problem. This course thus considers several major issues in diversity and unconscious bias, including:
- The difference between stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination
- How stereotypes affect judgments of others and our own performance
- How prejudice stems from simple group mentalities
- How to best approach diversity
- How to reduce the effects of conscious and unconscious bias
Through comprehensive videos, slide presentations, exercises, and quizzes, you will learn about the fascinating science of prejudice and discrimination. This course is modeled on university curricula and workplace training that you could spend thousands of dollars on.
Why Learn From Me?
As an award-winning psychology instructor, I have experience translating research in the field and presenting it in an engaging, understandable way. My students routinely evaluate my courses highly and comment on the passion I have for social psychology. I hope you can join this group of satisfied students and learn something new about yourself and psychology.
So take this course now and understand the science of diversity and unconscious bias...and how to address this common social issue!
Who this course is for:
- Employees looking to document training in diversity and inclusion.
- Educators who want to promote equal treatment in the classroom.
- Anyone concerned about bias and hoping to make social change.
I'm a social psychologist and host of the Opinion Science podcast. My expertise is in the domain of attitudes and persuasion, but I have extensive experience with all corners of the social psychology world. The research in this field is so interesting that I can't help but want to share it! I look forward to the chance to share the world of social psychology with you.